Sunday, July 13, 2014

Bill Walsh League is born

Going back to fall 1993, my friend Mo bought Bill Walsh College Football, and him, Charlie and Paul had played it for a day or two, and Mo told me on the phone "it doesn't have all the pass interference and cheese like the newer Madden games (92/93).  So I went over to Mo's house and we started playing.  My first play of the game (on defense), was called for pass interference.  My second play of the game I was also called for pass interference.  Already I could see it was loaded with cheese.  Another frustration of mine was that I could not intercept the QB option pitch to the RB, no matter how well I timed it.  It seemed the ball was teleported to the RB.  The game also lacked interceptions, which were nearly impossible.  This meant your noob opponent could drop back and just drill cheese it into coverage for 4 downs until he got a completion, I mean why not, interceptions were banned and pass interference was called very liberally.

In 1993, the yearly Kickoff Classic game matched FSU vs Kansas at Giants Stadium.  This game was a FSU 42-0 blowout of Kansas.  This was also the opening game of our first Bill Walsh league.  My Jayhawks defeated Mo's FSU 9-7.  I won a game kicking 3 field goals, no touch downs.  Regardless of the cheese, good defense prevailed over drill cheese offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment